Monday 19 March 2012

Thank you.



Oh, you super, super bunch of people.

What. Can. I. Say.

You made my day, my week, with your responses to my last post. So, here's a whopping big thank you. For all your comments on the blog, your emails, your tweets, your messages on Facebook. You've pushed me full steam ahead.

My Little Handmade Business couldn't have started on a better note. And my blog and I couldn't ask for nicer faithfuls and friends. 

And just for that, I give you this chicken. Also known as The Best Chicken You'll Ever Cook.



I rarely follow recipes. And I read cookbooks more for its stories, than for its ingredients. But, years ago, I came across this chicken in a book called Cooking from Memory - A journey through Jewish food. It is a beautiful collection of stories and recipes, collected lovingly from Jews settled in different corners of the world. This recipe is for Paprikás Csirke or Chicken Paprika, one of Hungary's most popular dishes, and comes from the kitchen of Katalin Tyler. She was born in Hungary in 1924, and has had a rich, moving life. And she, like me, doesn't like to cook from recipes.

But today, I'll cook from hers. It's one that I've cooked many times, for family and friends. And it really
is the best pot of chicken you can put on the table. I've been meaning to blog this for a while, but it needed a special occasion. And then you said all those lovely things last week. So, here you go.

Also, before the chicken starts cooking, would you please look to your right? See that new Facebook button there? It's another way to spread the word about My Little Handmade Business. If you liked what you saw last week, do click on that before you leave the building. Facebook tells me that once I have 30 'likes', the world will become a better place. That flowers will bloom. Everyone will sing in tune. And the sun will shine.



Katalin's Paprikás Csirke, or The Best Chicken You'll Ever Cook


1 chicken, skinned and cut into eight pieces
3 tablespoons oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sweet paprika powder
Salt




Wash the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute tha onion, garlic and capsicum together untill they soften. Add the chicken, salt, pepper and paprika, and stir until the chicken is browned. Lower the heat, cover the saucepan and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is soft and a sauce has formed.

























Serves 4 (I usually serve it with steamed, white rice. Or rustic bread.)


And, before I set the table - Thank you, Radhika (of the stunningly gorgeous Just Homemade) for choosing me for the Versatile Blogger Award. I'm very honoured, and grinning silly. This post above might not be in sync with your utterly beautiful vegetarian cooking. But the 'thank you' on the post is very much from my heart.











8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the award!! The chicken looks sumptuous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope it hasn't shaken you out of your current vegetarianism, anita :)

      Delete
  2. wow. that looks so nourishing... i will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ashley! i hope you enjoy it. it's really never let me down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pia Oh Pia,
    Sorry I'm seeing this only now!
    Your words have magic. Almost like butter, never ceases to melt the reader's heart! For this very reason, I like to come here to read what you have to say..
    Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Radhika! So lovely to hear from you :)
      Thank you for the impromptu visit! It's always a pleasure to have you here.

      Delete
  5. I was planning on making this chicken this week, but can't figure out what the liquid is. It's not in the recipe. Do you add water or chicken broth? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony,

      The sauce forms from the water the chicken and red pepper let out, if you simmer with the pan covered.

      But, depending on the chicken, if you find that there isn't much sauce by the time it's cooked, add a cup of water (not broth) towards the end and simmer for a couple of minutes more.

      Let me know how it turns out. Have a lovely meal!

      Delete

Your comments make this blog worth writing. Thank you.